Tuesday, December 18, 2012

'Feliz Natal' Red Dress!



Inspiration: Christmas and poka dot, how can not be merry and perfect for christmas day? 

Pattern: Vogue Very Easy 8615. From swap @ Birmingham Meet up

Fabric: This soft and drapy jersey was in my stash for ages. I don't remember where I bought it or how much it was. That's the problem when you buy fabric for the stash a long time ago and don't have an  efficient organisational system lol. 

Size and alterations: The pattern was originally size 16 and was missing the skirt. Not a problem, I  drafted a similar style skirt with only one lateral seam...  I lengthen the sleeves and the bodice too. The challenge of turning into a size 12 and then making jersey friendly (size 8/10) wasn't the most problematic part of this project either.  I had the pieces all cut and ready to sew for two weeks  waiting anxiously for my turn on the shared overlocker. I got my hands on it on Sunday and naively thought I should change the grey for a red thread. Oh why !!! Tension went bananas and after 2 hours of troubleshooting various methods  I gave up, using a jersey overcast stitch from my machine. 'All that waiting for nothing'. I got to fix the overlocker sometime before I start a new project. Did I mention I graded a project over the weekend??
Level: Easy. Its very easy indeed. Its a lovely pattern. I am in love with the side dart!

Pattern skill: Darts, zipper, facings and circular hem.

Year: Modern

Details and Notions: Omitted zipper, self drafted facings

Time to complete: 4 hours on and off. This project should be easily a few hours. Next time I guess will  a really quick makes.

First worn: Dec 14. Went to the Pub for a christmas drink!

Will you make it again? Yes. I am uncertain if I like the length so when I make next time I shawl make it shorter. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about this pattern: I don't like the boat neckline and I should have changed. My shoulders are narrow and my bra strap peaks out! Nothing that bothers me that much, really!

*updated sorry, I was quite tired when I wrote this post and forgot the conclusion

Conclusion: I love this dress. It's so comfortable and soft. I am seriously considering sewing more shaped knits. They showcase my waist and slim back to its best and I would never look as slim with a woven fabric as being busty really affect woven tops. I.e This dress finish measurements had a difference of 30 cm between the waist and bust. That perfect transition and balance would not be possible in a woven fabric. I would normally compromise on the waist making it larger.

Sewing TIP:
I called shaped knits, clothes with the same shaped designs, i.e. darts etc, in jersey. 
On the meet up day I explained to to Winnie as we had our twins dress that if you reduce the size on the side seam you stretch the fabric over at once. That mean the same width of fabric been pulled over the different parts of your body. Making where you are larger, more evidently and can show any extra volume as we called bumps and lumps!. If you shape your knits with darts, the stretch width is balanced. meaning that the fabric wont over stretch where you have more volume, making very flattening as its smoothes over the body without squeezing anything. 


Photo shoot camera: Olympus D 475+ Gorilla tripod. 


♫: Of Monsters & Men


35 comments:

  1. I love this on you Rachel, especially the unexpected lower neckline at the back! I also think you can carry off the length because of your height...totally gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is beautiful and the color is great on you... I too love the back... Beautiful work as always! -Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! It does look cheerful, and perfect for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute! You look gorgeous! This color and shape is beautiful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look lovely, what a great festive dress! I also love you sewing station with its wreath - fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just gorgeous!
    Merry Christmas baby!!1

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great and I loved it even more when I saw the back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Christmassy Dress! And will be great for spring as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is such a lovely dress and you look wonderful in it - well done on all the alterations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks lovely and comfortable! I hate it when serger tensions get all stuffed up. It is so irksome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you look lovely. The back is very elegant too!

    shame about the over-locker, I always think when they work they'r great when they don't they'r awful :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's gorgeous, great dress for Chirstmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous! Really suits you x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the dress and the color. you did a great job on the fit. I see this as a classic dress

    ReplyDelete
  16. amazing dress! lovely fit and colour. the simplest projects are always the best!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so great, I love the back!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! The fit is great and red is stunning on you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it! Red is your color!

    ReplyDelete
  20. absolutely gorgeous, and utterly Perfect for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous!!! I love the red on you!! I even like the length, although I hear you on it not being your preferred one.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks great on you! I love the back and colour.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So pretty and so Christmassy! You look great! Also, I love the lipstick!

    ReplyDelete
  24. it looks very nice on you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful.. the red looks beautiful with your long, dark hair..

    ReplyDelete
  26. You look bloody lovely. That dress couldn't suit you anymore xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. i'm impressed with your perseverance to not only make the pattern smaller but then adapt it for knits and make a whole new skirt, too. you look great! i love your handmade style and the dotted jersey looks fun and fancy at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing job! You'll be the sexiest on Christmas Day

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cuuuuute! Love the back. Gah, threading overlockers is the worst...

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Don't worry if you cannot see your comment straight away.
I need to approve them. When they show it means I read, appreciated it, even made a happy dance. Sometimes is hard to answer individual comments but I will always answer a question.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me!