Friday, April 20, 2012

The making of. Betty Jackson's paper bag Vol.3

"Design is a constant challenge to balance comfort with luxe, the practical with the desirable."  Donna Karan



The Facts. 


Inspiration : Ready to Wear Betty Jackson Collection A/w 2009/10 

The reason I liked this skirt it's because of its unusual take on a classic shape. I also took advantage of using a little weight fabric that I could wear it during the summer.

Fabric: I bought this at Goldhack road to make muslins/toiles.  £2.5 a metre. A Bargain!

Pattern particulars: The skirt has 2 front panels and one back panel. If I increase the hight I could just turn in to make the casing, eliminating the need for facing. Its pretty easy to sew.

Notions: Thick grosgrain from my stash. I think I would sew a thiner grosgrain for the next version.

 Time to complete: 2 Hours Drafting +1 hour sewing (day 01) +30 min ( day 02) = 3h30m in total

Did it look like the photo? I think It does and would look even more with some modifications. What do you think?

What skills did you use?: Adding an elastic on waist. Try to use blind hem without success.

First worn: April 2012

Wear again? Yes.

Conclusion: The whole process was really fun and I felt really proud of myself for figuring out the pattern. It may be my skirt of choice for the year.

 

 

Photo shot: Little digital Samsung P10. The weather in the UK is cold and its raining so much so I had to take some photos on my staircase.


♫: Adele. Someone like you.

12 comments:

  1. SO- so cute!! You did a wonderful job on this skirt.. And the fabric is as cute as can be.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy.. i love the yellow flowers of the fabric...

      Delete
  2. Your skirt is great, I LOVE the contrasting straps detail at the front!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That skirt looks great - you are really becoming a talented sewer Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Pauline, and feels great to be sharing my growth and learning with my lovely friends

      Delete
  4. This skirt is so cute Rachel, you've done a fantastic job and you should be very proud of yourself!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie. I thinks this is a lovely addition to my summer wardrobe. now we just need the sun !

      Delete
  5. You did a great job drafting this. It looks awesome on you. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! I've told you before, you did a very good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. FABULOUS! I love the colors you chose and that style is fantastic :) bravo, my friend, on making such a great piece!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Don't worry if you cannot see your comment straight away.
I need to approve them. When they show it means I read, appreciated it, even made a happy dance. Sometimes is hard to answer individual comments but I will always answer a question.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me!