Thursday, February 02, 2012

{SW Challenge: Down Under} The " Brazilian Carnival" Dress

"Sewing: A creative mess is better
 than tidy idleness."  
Author Unknown


The Facts
SW Theme: Down Under{ Opposite season: Summer} [SW post]
♫: Seu Jorge. Life on Mars?
Fabric: I don't know for sure, feel like cotton and stretch a little.Its like a very soft t-shirt fabric and it is quite thin and not suitable for the Uk weather. I got it because I liked the feel on the skin. I'm not sure you can see the red are hibiscus flowers.

Pattern: Self drafted 


Year: Contemporary. 

Notions: none. Just slip on and go.

Time to complete: It took 1 hour drafting and 2 hours draping /sewing

First worn: February 2012

Wear again? Yes, will fit perfectly for the Brazilian weather or on holiday to wear as a bikini cover.   

Total Cost: ~£10 { $15 or R$27}



The Pattern. I drafted a basic body block, made a boat neckline and used pleas and tucks to shape close to the body by draping the fabric and shaping it direct on my body.The sleeves were from the Colette Taffy blouse as they are perfect fun & Floaty and great if arms aren't toned. 
Inspiration: Brazilian Carnival.
Carnival (Carnaval in Portuguese) is celebrated all over Brazil, officially for 4 days of wild fun but the reality it takes from 2 weeks or more depending on where you live. Most Brazilian take holidays during this season { summer} and Carnival parties are the peak of the celebrations that sums up our culture. Did you know our festivities dates back as far as 1723. We also enjoy going to the beach and outdoor sports so our wardrobe is full of floaty cooling clothes and color.
Will you make it again?  Yes, not in the UK unless we have another heat wave like the one in October {26C} Did I mention it was cold here... how did I manage to survive a photo i'm not sure.

Did you use any new skills? Draping. Not sure I did if right but I liked the process and result.


What wardrobe gap does this fill?  Unfortunately the UK summer doesn't really call for such thin dress and I feel it can be only used on a beach holiday or at my hometown where temperatures never go lower than 17C. I think my mom will steal these dress for sure!
Photo shoot Camera: Samsung P210

Styled with:H&M belt ,Accessorise London Bracelet and New Look nude peaptoe shoes.
Is there any similar version current on the High street?  Yes, not many!

Rise {Source}
Little Treasures {Source}

24 comments:

  1. Well done Rachel! It is a very nice dress for summer !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Cris ! Hurrayy.. you manage to comment without blogger causing a fuss!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. thanks Megan, I highly recommend using circular sleeves. Easy to fit and sew.

      Delete
  3. This is lovely, the fabric print is right up my street ;o) I can't believe you survived a photo shoot in the freezing cold we've been having!!! I do think this is too nice for a beach cover-up dress, hope you get to wear it on more occassions! Can you paid it with thick tights and a cardigan or will that ruin the look?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marie, Im will take the suggestion and try to make it work with tights and cardies... at the moment Its 2 pair of trousers and sky socks LOL

      Delete
  4. Well done on the drafting - and braving the freezing cold for the photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks hun ! I really enjoying making this dress.

      Delete
  5. This is precious! Love love love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic work!! But oh so cold brrrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzy, I know... luckily I taken the photos one the warmest day

      Delete
  7. Very cute -especially the sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot recommend enough this sleeves !

      Delete
  8. Very pretty, but I bet you don't wear it this weekend, they are predicting snow oh no....................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wearing snowboarding socks and 2 pair of trousers !

      Delete
  9. Very nice fabric a dress well suited for over here in summer....looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh summer... how i miss you ! send me some on the post ! xx

      Delete
  10. This is really cute. Good job on the pattern.. Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You clever one drafting this yourself- it looks fabulous - but why this time of year? You are pining for the warmer weather I think!!! You wouldn't catch me outside in these temperatures without a coat, let alone bearing my bare arms!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. blaming on Sew weekly... and the crazy person that had the idea of doing a cross season challenge. and even more crazy person (Me) to actually gone for it !

      Delete
  12. Too cute Rachel! I love that you added the weather report!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Ann, shame the report shows such terrible weather.. at least sun is shining.. and thats brights my days

      Delete

Hello there! Don't worry if you cannot see your comment straight away.
I need to approve them. When they show it means I read, appreciated it, even made a happy dance. Sometimes is hard to answer individual comments but I will always answer a question.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me!