Sunday, February 12, 2012

★Colette Patterns: Meringue★ Pattern review

"Sewing mends the soul.  ~Author Unknown"



The Facts

SW Theme: UFO. I didn't had an unfinished item but I had less than 1 metre {1 yard} of fabric scrap from my wool dress. 

♫: James Morrison J. I won't let you go

Fabric:100 % wool. A joy to sew and wear.

Size:Size 10 ( Uk 12)

Pattern:Colette Meringue Skirt

Year:2011/2012 [Modern]

Notions: A small zipper from Brazil brought by my mom as a gift to me.[3 cm] They were supposed to be used for pockets. I just loved the idea of an exposed zipper and I didn't had any other I could used and Im trying to limit my buys and be creative with what I already have.

Time to complete: 1 Hour and a bit in total. Although I spend almost an afternoon because I keep being distracted by HRH and other domestic tasks. This is very simple to make

Did the pattern turn out like the picture or drawing? Yes and I didn't really like the length so I chopped about 3 cm.

Did you make any alterations or modifications? No. That's why I love making skirts or pants!

First worn: Feb 2012

Will you make it again?  I want to do as a dress version or using the scallops differently. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about this pattern: I disliked the scallops edge hand sewing technique so I ignored and used a craft technique instead and made into a separate band. I will used for the next one as I feel very inspired to try other versions. {See Inspiration below}

Did you use new skills or a particular skill: No, I should use the hand sewing as explained on the book and I unfortunately preferred the "fast option" to be able to participate on the SW challenge.
This year I feel I will want to slow down to allow more learning but I also want to join in on the challenges so I feel with my clothes it will be a mix of the two. I will cut corners if I feel the quality won't get overlooked as I still want to make very good quality items.

Total cost: As I clean my 5 bags {2 years worth of} scraps and left over from other projects I manage to find loads of potential 1 metre or more scraps and I was delighted to dig in and start reducing my forgotten stash.  So I would think this didn't cost me anything and the zippers were brought for about £5 the box of 6 of them. 

Photo shoot camera: Samsung P210 + Tripod

 

 
 





Is there any version current on the High street?  Yes, here are the ones I liked. My favourite is the Suede version.

Forever 21 Suede version
ASOS
Pockets and poka dots at Emersonmade.com

Pier de Terre use layered scallops


OASIS has a double layer skirt with a scalloped hem 
Lace by TIBI



Lots of Love,

22 comments:

  1. This is lovely and really suits you - I think your scallop band is a great idea! Nice styling too with beautiful blouse and scarf belt - love it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute, it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With legs like that I would totally chop off inches from my Meringue too! I love the navy and mustard combo. Awesome, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! I can't believe how many high st versions of the meringue there is! I like your short version - looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. how wonderful - looks great on you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making a band for the scallops is so clever! Great idea thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! I have my fabric cut out and I am not making the scallops, not my preference however that polka dot version up top is adorable. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your version of this skirt! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic job. It fits you perfectly and you look amazing as usual! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely version - I didn't do what they suggested in the book either for the meringue - I "bagged it out" which means I made a skirt out of lining and a shell and sewed the two together. So no hand sew for me either :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. your skirt is fantastic Rachel! I love how you paired it with mustard too. Very smart :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been dying to make this pattern! Yours is lovely and I also like the OASIS scalloped skirt. That would be easy to do from this pattern...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty Rachel - and I'm with Melizza!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have this ready to start cutting out and I must say yours is delightful. I will definitely start this tonight now :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the way you did the scallops and the length. And the exposed zip is great too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it! The fit is perfect, and it looks great with the mustard blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This came out great! I've been waffling about making the Meringue with scallops, but those layered skirts are giving me ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it.. It looks fantastic on you .. Love this skirt.. Need to get mine sewed up..Its cut out..just waiting on me???
    Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rachel. I saw this, this morning & tried to comment using my phone, but it didn't work! So I came back as it really is so pretty. I love your photos and the colour of your blouse is perfect with this skirt too. Gorgeous meringue!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for all the lovely comments ! lost of Love xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. The scallops look fantastic, Rachel and the skirt looks great on you!!! I sometimes find it hard to slow down to learn, as there's so much I want to make... it's a balancing act. Thanks for linking up...

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Don't worry if you cannot see your comment straight away.
I need to approve them. When they show it means I read, appreciated it, even made a happy dance. Sometimes is hard to answer individual comments but I will always answer a question.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me!