Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Sew Weekly Challenge Photoshoot and pattern review ( Contributors Challege)

"Wearing a hat versus not wearing a hat is the difference
 between looking adequate and looking your best. " (Martha Sliter)


The dress!



Patterns: Cynthia Rowley 2472

Pattern Description: two lengths or tunic, belt and tie-on ruffled bib sewing pattern by Cynthia Rowley.

Fabric: 100% navy blue wool

Notions:  matching thread

Time to complete:  3 hours

First worn: 2011 August

Wear again? Yes during winter as Its very comfy and so warm.

Pattern Cut 12 UK

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Yes, however I did some modifications to suit my body shape better.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Yes

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Positive; Its only 2 piece and neck/sleeve facings so it’s very quick to make. Its very easy to make and you can change neckline and hem length.
Negatives: This style is not particularly flattering for my hourglass shape as it hides my smaller part- wait. However with modifications I like the final result.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: Added 3 cm height on the waist , them added 4 darts ( 2 in front and 2 on the back ) to curb the baggy effect, them on the big neckline I also made it smaller with a open tuck.  Didn’t added the sleeve facing (bind).  I had topstitched the hem twice with a lighter colour thread as a design feature.

Conclusion:  Great pattern to make sporty or comfy clothes.  Using the wool that thick wasn’t very good idea as it didn’t press as very well. I am sure will get better once I wash the fabric.  I recommend this pattern for beginners and advanced a like! This is also part of my a/w plan.








Happy sewing and see you tomorrow !



8 comments:

  1. Really cute. Where did you get the wool? I'd love some wool crepe eventually...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice simple dress. You could wear it with a bright belt if you want to retrieve the missing waistline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With hat!! Lovely dress too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the wool in Just Fabrics ( Chatham) ...

    Hi Gail, yes I will wear i with a belt.. I got onethat goes very well with it.

    thanks Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dress is stunning! I absolutely love it! and that hat is perfect with it! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the dress and the hat just sets it off. and as usual..your photos are GREAT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ehhh Debi, so good to know you liked it !

    Judy, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look fabulous, and the hat is the perfect accessory. Love the dress and the wool is such a great color!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Don't worry if you cannot see your comment straight away.
I need to approve them. When they show it means I read, appreciated it, even made a happy dance. Sometimes is hard to answer individual comments but I will always answer a question.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me!