The end of year is fast approaching and life get even busier. For me it is important to find comfort in my wardrobe and use it to it’s best advantage. Wearing stylish and non restrictive clothes made out of fabrics that don't need to be ironed constantly, easy to wash and a bright print to cheer me up though shorter days. I certainly picked perfectly for this month Minerva Crafts Blogging Network make. I do feel it has a 'style' that would suit someone you all know. Don't you think this has Dibs name all over it? She is hosting a wrap dress sew along. This make hit another blogsphere challenge #sewgreendecember.
This busy and bright print certainly cheers me up. The pattern used is a wrap dress design by Lisa Comfort from Sew Over it. It was originally for her sewing class and is so successful that she has made them available to sew at home. Very professional and easy pattern, part of a lovely collection.
The pattern has facings which were ignored in favour of my beloved stretch bias. Besides having to lengthen the pattern considerably, no part of the constructions were difficult. I didn't follow the instructions. Cuffs were added just because I’m obsessed with them right now. The sleeves are a bit oversized.
Fabric is very soft, a bit slippery and even a bit cold to the touch. I love how it has a lovely drape. My kit comes with stretch thread meaning you can sew straight stitches.There are so many arguments between both camps, for those that believe its ok and for those who say it a mistake. Please always do a test patch first if you decide to use straight stitches on stretchy fabric. Those seams that suffers the most stress like the shoulders were stabilised with clear elastic. All my seams were overlooked.
I wish all the tales of this make were happy.
First let’s talk about the unfortunately placement of the print over my bust. Because the fabric was so busy I didn't realise the repeats and as I cut on the wrong side, I didn't spotted it till I had everything cut. Opps. To be completely honest, it doesn't really bother at all.
Then the overlocker aka green-eyed monster, eat my dress during the 1st seam. After loads of **** ‘not suitable’ words were pronounced out loud, I shared the disaster picture on my instagram and moved away from the machine for a good a cup of tea.
Recently some Australians Tim Tams came my way and after a Tim Tam Slam I managed calm down. When we make mistakes we have to step away and think about possible solutions and I had 2:
- Scrap the dress and ask Minerva Craft for more fabric, recut and start again
- Try to rescue the dress
I decided to try to fix it first as I could always ask for help. After a few minutes mentally browsing some ideas, I remember the ‘pot hole’ technique I learned at FQ retreat back in July. A quilting type of appliqué that the fabric is placed underneath and appliqué stitch on top. It worked quite well thanks to the busy fabric and position of the hole, with was in the bottom corner partially covered by the overwrap front piece.
Follow the position of my finger, I’m pointing to the patched area.